Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil and Filther
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:22 pm 

Hi, I just purchased a 07 turbo outback and was cautioned against using Mobil 1 due to oil leaks. Is there any truth to this advice and what oil and filther are most Subaru saturday mechanics using. Thank you for your advice.

Post subject: Re: Oil and Filther
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Heard that it shouldn't be used for the first 10,000 miles but not that it can cause leaks. Of course Subaru recommends 3,750 oil and filter changes if your driving is mostly stop and go, cold, wet, hot... sort of covers everyone. Fresh oil is important so keep it clean, a good filter...

Anyone else?

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:25 am 

I wouldn't worry about using it. I would make sure any oil you use meets the Subaru specs for warranty reasons. I definitely prefer a synthetic oil for the turbo engines as it can handle the high temps better longer. Especially now that Subaru recommends a bit shorter oil change interval for the turbo engines.

The 'synthetic will cause leaks' issue was more of an issue in earlier vehicles where the seal materials might not be compatible with synthetics, when synthetics might not have had the proper seal swell additives, when there was dirt kind of covering up a leak on an already faulty seal and then the synthetic disolved the dirt and the seal suddenly starts leaking, and things like that.

The suggestion not to use synthetic for the first xxxx miles is usually from the thought that synthetic oil will somehow preven the piston rings from seating properly in the cylinders.

This saturday mechanic (and sometimes fridays too haha) runs amsoil hdd 5w-30 in all his older soobs. I think this oil would be great for turbo engines, it is very rich an antiwear additives. HOWEVER it would not be suitable for your '07 soob because for one reason because it has more phosphorous than the current api spec allows - manufs are paranoid that this will damage the catayltic converters if the engine burns any oil).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:16 pm 

Synthetic oil (regardless of brand) is not the cause of oil leaks. However, if you have a car that currently leaks oil, synthetic oil can exacerbate the leak, at which point you would want to consider not using sythetic oil, or have the leak fixed.

Tex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

And Subaru requires 3,750 mile oil changes on the turbos ...
Joe