Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:37 pm 

Hi Joe and Image to the board! I haven't seen too many large power mods available for that engine 2.5L dohc phase I. Some people might bolt on a turbo in there but in general adding a turbo on to the n/a engine isn't the best for long term longevity. I have seen a few people put a small, i.e. 30-50 wet shot of nitrous on. Also check out http://deltacam.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:08 am 

Yea, thanks for the feedback. Do you know if theres a motor that I can build up an drop in my wagon?? for example my brother has a 2000 audi quattro 1.8T and He's suppose to build up a 96 vw golf motor and drop it in. When you say phase I. thats the n/a motor right? an the phase II is the sti motor??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:33 am 

Hi. The 2.5L phase I is the dohc. In Outbacks it was used from '96 to '99 model years. The 2.5L phase II is the sohc and started in Outbacks in '00. I think those were all n/a engines. The Outback turbo (XT) availability I think started in 2005.

For STI engines, let's see, Joe's page says for example for 2004 STi http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/w ... 4.html#STi
2.5L boxer DOHC 4cylinder, 16 valve
Turbocharged, high-boost, IHI Brand
Enlarged Air-Intake Hood scoop with Water-Sprayed intercooler: manually operated hood-scoop water sprayer provides additional cooling to the intercooler. Use distilled water, do not overfill if freezing is possible.
Drive-by-wire throttle
Aluminum alloy pistons
Cast iron cylinder liners
Reinforced "semi-closed deck" alloy block
Forged high-carbon steel connecting rods
Resin composite intake manifold
Electronic Drive by Wire throttle
Bore: 99.5 x 79mm, 3.92 x 3.11"
Horsepower/Torque 227HP@6000rpm, Torque: ft lbs 217@4000rpm 300hp@6000 rpm, 300ft torque@4000rpm

Since it is drive by wire (and maybe other reasons) you would also need the ECU from the STI, plus the throttle setup, etc. The wiring would almost certainly not be plug and play. You'd probably want the whole drivetrain, since your existing drivetrain may not be sufficent to handle the power. someone at ultimatesubaru.org might be able to give you better pointers....

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:45 pm 

Hello all, this is Kevin Mylläri, the founder of www.SubaruOutback.org. I'm very happy that Cars 101 has decided to create a forum, I've always been a huge fan of this site and the fact that Joe has created one of the top tier Subaru resources on the internet. I'll be encouraging my members to come over here and contribute, I've never been against sharing members with another fine site (this of course would exclude places like NABISCO).

Okay folks, lets build the Cars 101 forum up! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Welome, good to see you here. Joe

http://www.cars101.com
http://UsedBooks101.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:09 am 

porcupine73 wrote:
Hi. The 2.5L phase I is the dohc. In Outbacks it was used from '96 to '99 model years. The 2.5L phase II is the sohc and started in Outbacks in '00. I think those were all n/a engines. The Outback turbo (XT) availability I think started in 2005.

For STI engines, let's see, Joe's page says for example for 2004 STi http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/w ... 4.html#STi
2.5L boxer DOHC 4cylinder, 16 valve
Turbocharged, high-boost, IHI Brand
Enlarged Air-Intake Hood scoop with Water-Sprayed intercooler: manually operated hood-scoop water sprayer provides additional cooling to the intercooler. Use distilled water, do not overfill if freezing is possible.
Drive-by-wire throttle
Aluminum alloy pistons
Cast iron cylinder liners
Reinforced "semi-closed deck" alloy block
Forged high-carbon steel connecting rods
Resin composite intake manifold
Electronic Drive by Wire throttle
Bore: 99.5 x 79mm, 3.92 x 3.11"
Horsepower/Torque 227HP@6000rpm, Torque: ft lbs 217@4000rpm 300hp@6000 rpm, 300ft torque@4000rpm

Since it is drive by wire (and maybe other reasons) you would also need the ECU from the STI, plus the throttle setup, etc. The wiring would almost certainly not be plug and play. You'd probably want the whole drivetrain, since your existing drivetrain may not be sufficent to handle the power. someone at ultimatesubaru.org might be able to give you better pointers....

if you are going to drop an sti engine in there you will DEFINITELY need to upgrade your transmission, such as like the sti 6 speed. but that is a lot of work too. Not a lot of options besides that if you are wanting to make real big power.

Oh and hi my name is Kevin i found this site looking up specs for an old impreza on google. Joe you are doing a rad job i cant believe i didnt know of this site sooner.
I am an impreza junkie and am on my 5th WRX and ive owned an RS and im getting an old 98 L this weekend:) cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:47 am 
Site Admin

<snip>

Oh and hi my name is Kevin i found this site looking up specs for an old impreza on google. Joe you are doing a rad job i cant believe i didnt know of this site sooner.
I am an impreza junkie and am on my 5th WRX and ive owned an RS and im getting an old 98 L this weekend:) cheers[/quote]

5 WRXs... that should cover all the models. What's your favorite? I'm betting (hoping) we get a tweaked STI soon to differentiate it from the 09 WRX which is almost an STI.

Anyway, welcome aboard!
Joe

http://www.cars101.com
http://UsedBooks101.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:16 am 

i love the bugeyes the most i dont know why but they just d something for me haha.

we better get a tweaked sti, ive heard with a simple ecu reflash, the 09 wrx makes over 300hp and is quicker than the sti for only a couple hundred bucks! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:04 pm 

Hey Joe......
I'm Ed and I live @150 or so miles south of you.......25mi N. of Portland, OR. I grew up in Seattle. Graduated Cleveland HS in '65, joined the USAF and for the next 25yrs I spent my time caring for our military as a medic.
I am now on my third Subaru..........first was a brand new one we bought in Alabama......it was a '81 GL 4wd wagon. Put almost 300k on it before selling it to my son in Utah when we moved back to the west coast, after I retired from the USAF.
Then I found a dandy '82 2wd 4dr sedan that was a gem of a little car.......a tank really. Gave that one to my son too.
Recently (you can attest to the snows of Dec 08) we decided that: since we live out in the country at the end of a 1/2mi private road; and that we are around 800' ASL; and that we own only 2wd vehicles (not counting my 4wd ATV); and my wife commutes to downtown Vancouver daily; WE NEEDED A 4WD. Looked around and found an '83 Subaru GL 4dr 4wd with an '81 Brat motor in it. Car has over 250k miles on it, but motor has <100k (barely broke in for a Subaru).
I am finding it difficult to locate some parts. Particularly I am looking for a good keyed ignition switch. Ours the key just falls out and it is very touchy for starting. Anyone out there that can be a good source for info and parts location I would be happy to communicate with. My email is egowing @tds.net
Thanks for your great site. (the attached picture is not our car, but looks identical)
Ed........MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Attachments:
83-subaru_mar-23-08_009_sml.jpg
83-subaru_mar-23-08_009_sml.jpg [ 81.8 KiB | Viewed 11926 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:20 am 

Hi egowing and Image Yes those 80's soobs are nice! hehe around here in Buffalo anything older than 15 years or so is a rust bucket because of the salt :(

For parts from that era you might post in the want to buy section such as on ultimatesubaru.org there are a lot of die hard fans out there that probably have stockpiles of parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, welcome and that's a good looking old car- pretty clean.
For the lock cylinder, Aarons Auto Wrecking http://aaronsauto.com here in Seattle only does Subarus and it's also worth a try.
Does yours have the front grill with the center headlight- now that's cool! Not sure but think it was the 83-84 GL 4x4 that had it...
Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:32 am 

Thanks for the tip Joe.....no, our '83 does not have the CYCLOPS light in the center of the grill, but our '81 did, and it sure was an attention getter when we used it night driving.
I will check with the folks up your way........appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm... a long time service guy thinks it was the only the 1980 4x4 GL wagon with the center light, I thought it was 83-4 but that's not right. One of those easy facts that gets forgotten, lost in the distance

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:25 pm 

I don't know about any other years Joe, but our 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4wd did indeed have the cyclops light....
Maybe your service guy can post some pictures???

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:24 pm 

Hi, my name is B.G. and I live in Virginia Beach, VA. My wife wanted to give me a small pickup for Christmas. We just purchased a 2005 Baja Turbo with leather. We are both retired and enjoy taking trips.

We used to go off road a lot, but I have not been willing to take our 2008 Ford Explorer limited with 4wd off road!

She also wants me to have a set of the roof driving lamps installed. I have obtained a new oin the box original kit. Does anyone have wiring instructions?

Thanks for any help.

B.G.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:00 pm 

Hi, My name is Pais. I am having a difficult time locating after market sources for rubber windshield molding and rear hatch window molding for my 1984 4x4 hatchback GL. The local Subaru dealer can supply but wants twice as much as I paid for the car. Does anybody know of a source for these items?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:20 am 

AA9ZZ in southern Indiana. Currently have had a 2011 Outback for 1 1/2 years and just prepurchased a 2012 Impreza five door LTD. I'm looking forward to learning about the Impreza.

Anyone know the maker of the NAV in the 2012 Impreza? Is it a carryover from another model or a new unit?