Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:27 am 

The cars101 page on the '08 Outback states in reference to the maintenance shedule: "Timing chain: should not need replacement," seemingly in reference to all models. But I am under the impression that the 4-cylinder normally aspirated and turbo models acutally have a timing belt that requires periodic replacement as a maintenance item. Am I wrong about that? Also, it is correct that the 4-cylinder engines are interference designs that would make the suggested timing belt replacements well advised? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:58 am 
Site Admin

Right, the 4 cyls have timing chains that should be replaced at 105k. The 6 cylinders have chains which should not need replacement.
Thank you for the careful reading.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:50 pm 

w
Quote:
Also, it is correct that the 4-cylinder engines are interference designs that would make the suggested timing belt replacements well advised?

Absolutely. All Subaru 2.5L's are valve to piston interference engines. The earlier phase I 2.5L dohc's were also valve to valve interference. Early to mid 90's 2.2L's were non-interference.

Also note the timing belt intervals have a time limitation as well as mileage, i.e. 105 months OR 105,000 miles for those engines. (Some earlier, non calif. 2.2L's had 60k mile intervals). The EZ30 H6's have timing chains intended to last the lifetime of the engine.

There's lots of good articles on http://www.endwrench.com such as this one: T-Belt Time: All About Subaru OHC Timing Belts