Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 99 outback timing belt
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:16 pm 

i just bought a 99 outback 2.5. the car has 107k and i dont know if the timing belt has been done or not. The car runs and drives great, no missing or hesitation. is their a way to tell if it has been done and what might be some indications that it needs to be done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:35 am 

Hi btyson9. You could register free at my.subaru.com and see if it shows the timing belt in the service history. Typically it would show only if it were done at a Subaru dealer, though users can enter their own service history as well.

Otherwise, you could pull the LH outer timing belt cover and see how the belt looks. Though looks can be deceiving.

If there is any doubt as to it having been replaced, it really should be replaced now. If the belt breaks, you can have bent/knicked valves and or dented pistons.

There are a number of things to generally either replace or at least check when the timing belt is replaced including water pump, reseal oil pump and replace discharge to block o-ring, front cam seals, at least the toothed/geared idler near the water pump.

There is a good article on how to replace the timing belt on the 2.5L dohc on endwrench.com; I can find the link if you want. Also now could be a good time to replace Subaru ball joints if they are showing any signs of wear at all.