Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daytime Running Lights
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:02 am 

This forum doesn't get much action, but I'm hoping someone with an answer will run into this:

I've had an '02 Outback LLB for only four months and have already gone through two complete sets of SilverStar headlights (dim). I queried Sylvania, and they said that "as with most high performance products of this type, there is a trade-off for the higher performance of the SilverStars, and it's found in the life span of the product. Simply put, the SilverStar products have to work harder than original equipment parts to give their whiter, brighter light and this does have an impact on their life span." I love SilverStars, especially since I regularly drive through wooded, deer infested areas every night of the week, but still - two months a set?

I've tried running the headlights full-time, thinking that the claimed (by Subaru) lower power running the DRLs might be putting additional stress on the bulbs, but to no effect. The dim lights are only tiny H1's anyway (why the heck didn't they run 9006's, like the SVX?) which, IMO, are way less than adequate for running down the road at anything greater than 45 mph.

So does anyone know how to turn off those darn DRLs?

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:34 am 

I had the same results with the Sylvania SilverStars; I was going through a couple sets per year so I stopped using them. Now Osram SilverStars are supposed to be good.

I know if you pull the parking brake handle even one click the DRL's will shut off. If you want a permanent disablement, maybe there is a fuse for the DRL unit that does not also feed anything else, or maybe if the DRL unit can be located (I can check my manuals if you want), the connector could be pulled.

The DRL's don't really put much extra stress on the bulbs. Normally it is the high beams run at reduced intensity by PWM.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:52 pm 

The easiest way to get the DRL's to turn off is to pull your emergency/parking brake up ONE CLICK. Test this when its dark, it worked fine on my 2003 Outback. Your E/parking brake will not be affected if you only pull it one click. This will shut them off, I don't know if you would rather simply disable the full time light feature. I don't know how to do this right off hand, search the site in my sig and you can most likely find something. Also check www.scoobymods.com