Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.5L engine vibration
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:06 am 

I'm looking for a little advice. I recently acquired a 1999 Outback with a blown engine. I purchased a used engine from a dealer that sells engines from Japan and installed it. After initial fire-up everything appears fine. But the real question is: From about 2000 to 3500 rpm I notice a slight vibration. You can only feel it when the vehicle is not moving. Since I'm new to the 2.5L double overhead cam engine, I was wondering if this is a inherent problem to this engine or if I need to start looking for a problem? I currently own a 90 legacy with the 2.2L SOHC and don't have a problem with vibration. This ones got 310K miles, what a great car!!!!

Does anyone else have a similar problem???

Thanks

Post subject: Vibration
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:13 am 

I have a 2001 and haven't experienced any noticeable vibration problems in that RPM range. What about higher RPMs?

So you do not notice vibration problems at idle? With the horizontally opposed engine I would assume there would be more of a chance for vibration.

How many miles were on the chassis before you swapped the engine? My first inclination would be to check the motor mounts for wear because that will usually cause the vibration to be tansferred to the driver mnore as the rpms go up. I suppose it could also be a misfire in one cylinder? Did you change out the plugs or wires when you put in the new motor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:29 am 

Hi Larry,

The vibration you describe sounds similar to most of the 96-99 2.5L engines we see. It seems to have a harmonic type of vibration in the range you're speaking of normally around 2800rpm. Unless you have a check engine light relating ot a misfire code it's probably just the nature of the beast.

Cheers,

Mike Corbin
Smart Service

http://www.smart-service.com

20309-B Ballinger Way NE, Shoreline, Wa, 981155

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:06 pm 

i recently bought a 99 outback. i had also driven a 96 and 97 outback
before i bought mine. all three cars had a very similar engine vibration as what you have descibed. it concerned me at first but relized its normal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:02 pm 

i am working on a customers 99 legacy outback limited 2.5L dohc and they are also complaining of a similar problem. They notice this vibration when accelerating from a stop or low speed up until about 30mph or so. I test drove and confirmed the complaint. It is a fairly mild vibration but it is there. upon inspection i found that the rear tranny mount was worn so i recommended replacement. I replaced that but it really did not make much of a difference. very slight if any. Now, there is a lower bushing on the underside of the cross support that attaches the tranny and mount to the frame that I am wondering about. It seems to have too much play in it (up and down) like it needs to be a thicker bushing. Anyone have any ideas on that or found a cure for the vibration???? p.s. the customer claims that this is a fairly new concern.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:19 am 

Sometimes the u-joint in the propeller drive shaft to the rear diff goes bad or siezes slightly and causes vibrations, but not sure it would be at those speeds you mentioned. If it's an auto trans, does it have the vibration if stopped idling with transmission in drive? Do all the tires match in size (like didn't just have new tires put on the front or rear recently or something like that)? Does it go away if the FWD/front wheel drive fuse is installed?