|Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads
|Dec 22, 07: Imprezas, Foresters on the Admissible list
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||Admin [ Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:30 am ]|
|Post subject:||Dec 22, 07: Imprezas, Foresters on the Admissible list|
Dec 22, RIV updates the Admissible list!
Imprezas are ready to go, they are listed as admissible with a special annotation [EIS] regarding the immobilizer.
All US spec Imprezas and Forester XTs (Forester turbo models) include a factory installed Immobilizer system, covered under section 2 below.
Forester X models would need an Immobilizer system installed.
Here are the official rules (12/22)
There are therefore three possibilities depending on the type of immobilizer:
1.Electronic Immobilizers Installed as Original Equipment and Certified to CMVSS 114
Vehicles equipped with such systems do not require any special inspection or modifications. They are listed as admissible without any special annotation regarding the immobilizer.
2. Electronic Immobilizers Installed as Original Equipment but Not Certified to CMVSS 114
Vehicles equipped with such systems will require confirmation of the presence of that system at the time of the RIV inspection. They are listed as admissible with a special annotation [EIS] regarding the immobilizer. Demonstration of the presence of an electronic immobilizer can be done through one of the following means:
- Presentation of the completed vehicle purchase agreement showing the vehicle identification number and indicating the presence of an immobilizer
- Presentation of the vehicle window sticker (Monroney label) showing the vehicle identification number and indicating the presence of an immobilizer
- A letter from the manufacturer showing the vehicle identification number and indicating the presence of an immobilizer.
- Other type of information present on the vehicle or on the ignition key allowing the positive identification of such a system.
3. No Immobilizer on the Vehicle
These vehicles will need to be fitted with an immobilization system that conforms to National Standard of Canada CAN/ULC-S338-98, entitled Automobile Theft Deterrent Equipment and Systems: Electronic Immobilization (May 1998), published by the Underwriters' Laboratories of Canada, before being presented for registration under the laws of a province. They are listed as admissible with a special annotation [EIS] regarding the immobilizer.
Importers should be aware of the following points before purchasing a vehicle in the United States:
- There is no guarantee that an aftermarket immobilizer system can be fitted to the vehicle,
- Some manufacturers have indicated that the installation of an aftermarket immobilizer system may affect the vehicle warranty,
- Some manufacturers have indicated that the installation of an aftermarket immobilizer system may affect the performance
of certain safety equipment on the vehicle,
- Certified installers of CAN/ULC-S338-98 aftermarket immobilizer systems may not be available in your local area.
- The modifications may be expensive
Transport Canada does not endorse any brand of electronic immobilizer systems or installers. More information on immobilizers and installers can be obtained by contacting the Vehicle Security Installation Bureau (VSIB) (http://www.vsib.ca/index.html) or the Insurance Bureau of Canada (http://ibc.ca/). Other organizations may also be able to supply information.
See http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importat ... /VAFUS.pdf
Section 9.2 (Immobilizers), page 2
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]|
|Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group