Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:54 pm 

Hi,
My name is Katie. I love my 1999 Subaru Impreza "Brighton", but we need more passenger carrying capacity - which means we have to resort to a minivan finally. I have been trying to sell my subie - but two major things seem to be problematic for me. The car is a manual and has no air conditioning. Also the engine light stays on constantly - but I refuse to go through the various repairs to fix that problem.......The dealership said to replace the gas cap, then to replace a couple of valves, then when the light came back on they advised me to replace the entire fuel pipe to repair a hole in it. Last year I took their advice and replaced the Head Gasket, main engine seal and clutch...(over 2000.00) but this time around when they told me the repair would cost 500.00, I decided to consult with my regular mechanic. He told me he couldn't find a hole at all!!!!! My father tells me to keep the car, considering my investment in it. Other subaru owners say I should definitely hold out for at least 4000 for the car. Yet anyone who has responded to my ads in Kijiji and craigslist either offers me much less than that saying that the book value is much much lower, or are not willing to buy a car with no ac.
I am so frustrated - I know it is a good car and the new owner would be fortunate that the Head Gasket has been replaced, and that overall it has been well maintained. Does anyone have any helpful advise???
What is the best way to advertise to people who appreciate Subarus?
Thanks for listening!
Katie

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi and welcome. Selling cars with issues is hard, and since interested buyers don't know what or how much money is involved in a repair, the value will certainly be less. A good shop or dealer should be able to at least narrow down the cause of the check engine light so a buyer can make a informed decision and that would be money well spent.

Are you sure the car doesn't have ac? If you PM me the last 8 of the VIN I can check for you.
Joe

http://www.cars101.com
http://UsedBooks101.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:41 am 

Hi. What city are you in, and how many miles are on the vehicle? Soob and other vehicle prices vary depending on area. You can probably get more for it in areas where soobs are very popular such as the northwest and northeast.

Yes, selling a vehicle with issues is more difficult, because the typical buyer is going to have to take it to a shop to get it repaired, and without knowing the exact issue cannot know how much that will cost.

Also selling vehicles with issues on places such as craigslist will attract the do-it-yourself type buyers who look for vehicles with simple to fix issues, looking to buy those vehicles cheaply, fix them up, and then flip them for a profit.

Based on what the dealer was saying about the fuel filler pipe, gas cap, etc., it sounds like your check engine light is an evap code. These can be very hard to diagnose. Even a tiny pinhole leak anywhere in the system will make the vehicle fail the ECU's evap test and set the check engine light. Typically a good shop will connect an evap smoke machine to the vehicle and then be able to find the leak from where the smoke is coming out. The smoke machines capable of finding tiny leaks are pretty expensive so not every shop will probably have one. Sites such as ScoobyEnthusiast.com can be helpful in getting tips to diagnose this issue too. Sometimes it becomes necessary to get imported car insurance for this type of vehicle as well. In any area that requires yearly emissions inspection, the vehicle will likely not pass with the check engine light on.

Last edited by porcupine73 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 am 

any autozone can read the Check Engine Light for free and tell you what code it is giving you. Thats at least a start in the right direction, and it doesnt cost you anything