Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:53 am 

Just thought I'd post this pic of a Brat from Subaru's 'in the attic' series. It says "BRAT stands for Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter". Article: http://www.drive.subaru.com/Fall06_attic.htm

Launched in 1977, the Subaru BRAT was designed for the American market and became symbolic of the Subaru brand. The BRAT was developed with the platform and mechanical componentry of a 1977 Subaru station wagon at the rear and the rest of the vehicle built forward from there, fitted with other 1977 Subaru components.

The acronym BRAT stands for Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter. “Bi-drive” refers to its part-time four-wheel-drive system, which can be shifted in and out of four-wheel drive on-the-fly.

The BRAT’s 1,600-cc engine is a horizontally opposed four-cylinder, mounted longitudinally. The carbureted engine produces 67 horsepower. It was available only with a four-speed manual transmission.

The Subaru BRAT housed in the attic is the first one off the assembly line, and it was driven by Subaru of America co-founder Harvey Lamm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:02 pm 

Great info. Hope you can help with this one:

I have a clean, rust free 1984 Turbo Brat, fuel injection, auto trans, A/C, P.S./P.B. rear jump seats, roll bar and cap and have searched all over to find out how many were ever produced and no one has an official answer. A few Brat enthusiasts claim that less then 400 were built and another unofficial source says less then 600 were built. I know they came off the assembly line in Sept. 1983.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:11 pm 

Hi Frank,

Did you receive any answer to your question regarding the total number of BRATs manufactured in 1984?

I have an all orignal, sold new in Southern California 1983 BRAT with the original black exterior and gray interior. It too is turbocharged, automatic, most (if not all) options including air conditioning, etc.

How are you enjoying your BRAT?

Regards,

Don Cordier
Simi Valley, California USA