Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:18 pm 

Hey folks,

I got a 2009 tribeca last Nov brand new and I have been having an issue when it shifts from the first to second gear. The symtom is that it is a rather abrupt s**t that I feel as opposed to a usual smooth gear change. Anyone experienced this and any view as to what may cause this. I suspect it is likely some timimg set incorrectly on the electronics. It is obviously still under warranty but I just thought I would ask in case someone knew what this could be caused by.

Thanks

Pepperman.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:58 pm 

Hi Pepperman and welcome to the board!

I'm not sure if your 5EAT has it, but supposedly the dropping resistor or duty solenoid A can cause harsh shifting, due to higher ATF line pressure.

How many miles do you have on? Sometimes if it is cold outside, it does seem to shift harder with the ATF thicker. Yours probably takes the Subaru Idemitsu HP-ATF. If it's due for an ATF change that might help too. I always notice smoother shifting after an ATF change if the fluid has more than about 20-30k miles on it. The fluid does degrade and lose its dynamic frictional characteristics, and that can make for harsher shifting.

The 1-2 harsh upshift does seem to be a not uncommon thing people mention about Subaru's.