Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:55 am 

Hello,

My step son is dealing with a late 90's 150000 mile Forester coolant leak.. I believe it is a 2.5 liter engine.. No sign of mixing fluids leakage.. Diligence has prevailed in coolant monitoring.. Engine has not been overheated.. Given the dealer sold head gasket sealant is a temporary repair, is it worth the expense to save for, and prolong the inevitable..

in appreciation,
Paul
RCA Winona, MN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Hello. Head gaskets- sigh. They're the ugly maintenance item. Yes they're worth fixing early if the car has otherwise been maintained because a little leak will eventually get worse and can lead to a major (and really expensive) engine failure. Being aware and prepared for it is smart. \

The question is- how is this car overall, and is it wiser to spend the money on it or is it just too old and tired, and better to spend the money on a newer one?
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:35 pm 

Hello,

The car is in good shape.. My question hasn't been directly addressed.. In this part of the country the Subaru dealers offer a made especially for Subaru non genaric head gasket sealant.. I think of it on the order of VW making a coolent red in color specifically for VW back in the first water cooled days of the mid 80's vanagons. Has any one had any experience with this.. Can you expect a year or two out of it for the expense.. I would interpet the Subaru dealers advise on the matter as bias no matter how they respond..

in appreciation,
rca winona

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi. Is this Subaru sealant instead of a gasket?
The only Subaru thing I'm aware of is a 'conditioner' you put in the radiator to plug very minor leaks, and I understand it's a decent patch if it works right, though not a permanent fix. It's not expensive to do either.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:26 am 

If it's one of those additives called 'block seal' or something like that which is supposed to fix head gasket leaks, I would not put it in there. Those things usually don't work anyway, at least not long term. The Subaru coolant conditioner seems to help with preventing (but not necessarily fixing once it has started) the later SOHC external head gasket dripping leaks but not so much with the earlier DOHC internal exhaust blowing into coolant leak that was often seen in Subaru cars of that era.

If your Forester is a '99 it should have the SOHC engine. Earlier than '99 it is probably the DOHC.

This is the Subaru conditioner, it appears to be a product made by Holts in the U.K. called 'radweld'