Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bubbling sound from car
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:49 am 

Hi,

I've recently bought a 2002 model H6 3.0 Outback. Overall I'm delighted with the car as it more than meets my requirements for towing motorcycles to offroad events.

When first starting up recently I've noticed a "gurgling, bubbling" sound from behind the dash area. It sounds like fluid full of bubbles being pumped. Recently this has become much more obvious and occurs every time I rev engine. Engine coolant level seems stable and clean and cooling system seems to be functioning perfectly.

Car has automatic climate control fitted. I have never had air conditioning in a car before and am wondering if the noises are related to this?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

thanks
old git :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:30 pm 

Ahoy old git from Scotland! porcupine from Buffalo NY USA here. I know it's been quite a while since your post, but often on soobs, if you hear this gurgling sound, it can be an air pocket traped in the cooling system.

Basically on a soob, if the coolant is drained (or has a small leak anywhere letting air in the system), if the rad is simply filled quickly through the radiator cap neck with the vehicle level on the ground, there is a good chance you will trap air in the system. Not good, can result in localized overheating in the heads, etc.

Certain soobs such as '05 XT IIRC Subaru says to use vacuum refilling equipment for cooling system service. (ie it removes nearly all air from the cooling system before refilling, hence little air to get trapped). I have built a setup to do this; i have a link if interested.