Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:22 am 

Does anyone know of a swap out kit that would allow me to either swap out the 5th gear to a higher gear similar to the Impreza Outback Sport bringing the RPM's down.? Or swap out the transmission all together allowing for a higher end gear? I did this with my 1985 VW Scirroco which came with a sport gear ratio transmission. While in 5th gear, the RPM's were in the low 3,000 range similar to what the past Legacy Outback's do. There was an after market kit at the time which allowed for an easy swap for the VW without tearing the transmission apart. I just had to change out the 5th gear only which was located under an easy access cover on the outside end of the transmission. I had a VW mechanic do it for about $250. After the swap the results were awesome! The lower gear allowed for a quieter smoother ride and better gas mileage too! Yes, there was a gap between 4th and 5th gear, which was no big deal and was tolerable especially when I never use 5th in the city, just the highway. My dad really wants to do this to his Legacy Outback, since the price of fuel is way up there, we were hoping to do this. Any advice on where I can find such a kit? Is there an Impreza, or Legacy transmission with a higher 5th gear ration then the sport that will fit in the Legacy Outback? Is there, or isn't there such a kit out there, or has anyone done this already that will save me a lot of time doing the research?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:18 am 

Hi and welcome!

I'm not sure if this will help, but here is a file I had socked away with some gear ratios:

Attachments:
Subaru Transmissions Gear Ratios.zip [1.45 KiB]
Downloaded 423 times

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:30 am 

Thanks for the information!
I'll take a look and get familiar with the gear ratio's you provided and see what I can do.