Subaru Forum & Free Classified Buy & Sell Ads

An Unofficial Subaru Research Community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: head gasket issues
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:57 am 

Hello,
I have a question regarding the 2.5l engine in my 2000 Outback. I haven't blown my engine, but in reading posts in various places on the web I have seen a number of references to blown head gaskets being an issue with that engine; I have not only read these reports, I have a friend who had this happen. :( She is not the kind of person to have an issue and just let it go until something bad happens, she had no warning when on a short trip the engine fried itself (the wagon had between 15k and 25k miles on it, I believe). Any information appreciated. I apologize if this post duplicates others, I tried the search feature and it came up with nothing.

Mack

2000 Outback,
absolutely stock
14k miles (believe it or not; snowbird car purchased in Florida).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi. It doesn't happen to all but is something to be aware of.
Subaru has an aluminum block and head and running cool is important so it might be a good idea - this is true for all engines - to let it idle for 15 seconds or so to let the oil and fluids circulate before putting it in drive. And keep good fresh radiatior fluid and oil in the engine.
A head gasket leak can happen on any engine, with the boxer engine used by Subaru, Porsche, a small leak can become a slow oil drip. If it does start, Subaru has a leak seal product, see your dealer for it. There are probably aftermarket things that are similar.

Anyone else have any thoughts, comments?

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:42 pm 

I know there was a recall on 2000 & 2001 Outbacks for this problem that was driven by VIN's. Your friend should call Subaru North America to see if anything can be done to help her out. If nothing else, maybe they can give her a little $$$ to cover repairs she already had done.

The note that Joe left about letting any car idle for 15 seconds is a MUST for all cars. It allows the oil pressure to come up which allows the oil to get up in and around all the parts of the engine. I always tell my wife to do this, but she doesn't listen which, I feel, helped contribute to problems we had with our Subaru, and now she has a leak problem with a Pacifica - Go Figure!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:36 am 

Hi. The 2000 Outback has the phase II 2.5L (sohc). It has the potential for the external peeping head gasket leak, like it may dump the coolant onto the ground. The earlier 2.5L (dohc) were prone to blowing exhaust into the coolant.

Did you have the coolant conditioner installed under the recall and use it at any subsequent coolant changes? If so, you get extended HG leak coverage up to 8 years or 100,000 miles.

Also, do not use gm dexcool or dexclones such as all makes/all models coolant in Subaru's. It should be genuine Subaru coolant, or a possible aftermarket is BASF G-05 (licensed to Zerex and others) (though Subaru recommends only genuine Subaru coolant).

[url]asdfs[/url]